The Lab’s Office of National and Homeland Security (ONHS) reports to the Deputy Lab Director for Research. It acts as the interface between the Lab and the nation’s security agencies, which include the Department of Defense (DoD), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the DOE’s National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), and the intelligence community.
The ONHS supports the Lab’s Areas, Divisions, and researchers in the following ways:
- Developing the Lab’s overall strategy for security-related research to complement its core mission
- Coordinating the Lab’s response to opportunities with strategic sponsors
- Ensuring proposals are relevant to sponsor needs by providing input on mission gaps that proposals should address
- Educating the Lab research community about sponsors’ missions, priorities, and opportunities
- Building relationships with key stakeholders in relevant security agencies
- Helping individual researchers and research groups build and maintain their portfolio of projects from security agencies
- Serving as a bidirectional conduit to facilitate information exchange between sponsors and Lab management.